InnerVoice is a universally designed, easy-to-use, and engaging communication tool that teaches speech, language, and social communication skills to people with autism. InnerVoice creates unique learning opportunities for people with autism by taking words and social cues from the physical world and teaching them in virtual settings: the iPad and iPhone.
InnerVoice can work like a typical communication device, letting your thoughts and feelings be heard and understood by others. Unlike traditional speech-generating apps, though, InnerVoice combines facial expressions, emotions, tone-of-voice, written words, and actions with speech, providing a complete multi-sensory learning experience.
You can even share your words with others by making videos of the avatars speaking your message. Post your thoughts on social media, send a text message -- it's up to you!
Choose an avatar from a library of faces, use a photo of yourself, or one of your favorite characters, and watch them come alive in the app. Avatars move, emote and, most importantly, speak! Watching a face that the learner connects with helps increase imitation and engagement, and it's a lot of fun, too.
- InnerVoice has full, native support for both English and Spanish.
- SPEAK: tap the mouth or the speech bubble and hear the avatar say your words aloud.
- SHARE: your avatar will deliver any message to friends, family or social media.
- MOVE: add actions to any button to represent verbs, emotions, and concepts by using GIFs by Giphy, or Loop, Bounce, and slow-motion videos from Apple.
- SEE YOURSELF: take a photo of yourself, a toy, a drawing, and watch it come to life.
- WATCH: the avatar's words scroll across the screen in sync with its speech, allowing you to see the connection between written and spoken language.
- EMOTE: make facial expressions on your avatar's face to express happiness, sadness, or anger.
- CUSTOMIZE: create new buttons and edit layouts with ease, using photos, videos, GIFs, or SmartySymbols: the simple button-editing system can add a pre-recorded or text-to-speech label to your buttons.
- SAVE YOUR WORK: ensure that all customizations are safe from accidental deletions or crashes.
- ENHANCE: with the MyScript Stylus keyboard, handwrite your message, and watch your writing appear as text.
Through its unique, entertaining, and captivating combination of scientific research and user-friendly design, InnerVoice unlocks your ability to express yourself through words and emotions.
InnerVoice teaches communication using a unique patent-pending process called Multi-Sensory Semiotics: which pairs sensory stimuli -- anything from movements, touch, or sound -- with auditory symbols (words), visual symbols (text), or gestural symbols (sign language).
InnerVoice's design won Mensa's Intellectual Benefits to Society Award, and it has received funding from numerous prestigious organizations: NewSchools Venture Fund, National Science Foundation/SBIR, and Autism Speaks.
InnerVoice is designed by iTherapy, LLC, a company of speech-language pathologists, certified autism specialists, and educators who work with people with autism, dyslexia, and other communication disorders.